Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

PUC urges gas meter safety after home explosions

Madison home explosion.jpg
Broadwater Bar and Grill
Madison Fire Department
Surveillance footage captured by Broadwater Bar and Grill in Lake Madison showing a home explosion in March of 2023.

This interview originally aired on In the Moment on SDPB Radio.

The Public Utilities Commission is asking South Dakotans to keep an eye on their natural gas meters and appliance vents after a pair of home explosions.

Both incidents were in the Madison area. No one was hurt in either explosion.

Kristie Fiegen is chairperson of the South Dakota PUC. She appeared on In the Moment to discuss safety measures you can take to keep your home safe. Namely - regularly checking to ensure snow and ice haven’t built up on your gas meter.

Lori Walsh is the host and senior producer of In the Moment.