In The Moment: Rodeo 101 With Dale Christensen
- A judge says South Dakota cannot force the federal government to allow fireworks at Mount Rushmore National Memorial. Gov. Kristi Noem wants a fireworks show on July 3. The National Park Service denied her request.
- Much has been made about what our next normal will be as we struggle to emerge from our pandemic cocoons of anxiety and our surge of a collective reckoning with mortality. Well, how about a great "un-tabooing" of our overall thoughts about wellness? Rick Kahler is a personal financial planner, columnist, and financial therapist. He joins us with an update.
- This month the SDPB Spotlight shines on rodeo in South Dakota. And today we unpack the complexities of the sport for the uninitiated among us with a little Rodeo 101 conversation. For this, we've invited Dale Christensen to the mic. He's a long-time rodeo professional. He is the national director for high school rodeo, and he announces for SDPB's high school rodeo coverage.
- There is a lot to do here and experience in this state, but to understand how South Dakota came to be the way it is, you must first understand history. SDPB's Richard Two Bulls joins us to talk about that historical perspective and what it means for him to be a Native American who grew up in this state.
- Today's book is "The Thresher" by Herbert Krause. Today's reader is Patrick Hicks. He's writer-in-residence at Augustana University where Herbert Krause was the first writer-in-residence.