Commenters Fill Noem's Parler Page With Support For Capitol Violence
Gov. Kristi Noem describes the Parler social-media app as a bastion of free speech, but many commenters on her posts are condoning the riot at the U.S. Capitol and calling for more violence.
Parler is favored by users who like its looser policing of offensive and controversial commentary. Noem started her Parler page in November. Her first post said, “So glad to join a platform that respects and protects FREE SPEECH!”
One of her recent Parler posts condemned the violence at the Capitol.
“We are all entitled to peacefully protest,” she wrote. “Violence is not part of that. What’s happening in the Capitol right now must stop.”
Hundreds of Parler users added comments to the post. Many applauded the violence.
One commenter wrote, “Burn it all down, hang all government officials and congressmen.” Another one said, “This is a natural progression to a much-needed civil war.” There were many similar comments.
Noem’s spokesman, Ian Fury, said he and the governor share control of the Parler account. Fury said the governor does not support the offensive comments.
SDPB asked Fury if he plans to delete the comments.
“I don’t actually know, is that an option on Parler?” he said.
In fact, it is possible to delete comments on Parler.
Fury promised to speak with Gov. Noem about it. Later, he responded with an email. It contained this question: “Is the implication that taxpayer dollars should be spent paying a government staffer to police drivel posted by idiots on the internet?”
He then wrote that Parler’s community guidelines say it will remove “reported” member content that constitutes illegal activity. SDPB replied with an email asking if the Noem administration will report the offensive comments.
Fury did not immediately respond.
Meanwhile, Noem's Parler account had a new post Thursday: "There are consequences for how we talk to each other in this country. Today, let's all pray for healing and peace for our nation. Let's all remember that the United States of America is the most special nation in history."
Excerpted comments from Noem's Parler page
- “Actually Governor, we are entitled to VIOLENTLY protest the theft of our Democracy. Its why we have a Second Amendment. We don’t have to ask, beg, cajole, or cut deals with evil people. We can just kill em in self defense.”
- “This country was founded on violence. This is a natural progression to a much needed civil war.”
- “How dare you guys demand peaceful protests when you cannot deliver fair elections. Only blood will get your democracy back now, and it’s the fault of congress.”
- “The People are tired of being jerked around. Should have happened a long time ago.”
- “Sorry Governor Noem, the crooked democrats and spineless republicans that caved to the democrats started this. A full revolt is in order.”
- “What are good people supposed to do when the courts and their elected officials have failed them? I say good on those who choose to FIGHT BACK.”
- “You can’t steal an election and expect that there will be no consequences. This is how civil wars start and war isn’t peaceful.”
- “‘Peaceful’ is not in the Democrats vocabulary so sometimes you got to fight fire with fire.”
- “The price of liberty is blood. It always has been. Americans have paid a heavy price for our Liberty here and around the world. The day is coming I think when another payment will be due.”
- “Removing a corrupt government is the duty of a patriot. Stop condemning we are fed up.”
- “RIGHT OF REVOLUTION is the right or duty of the people of a nation to overthrow a gov’t that acts against their common interests and/or threatens the safety of people w/o history in 1 form or another the belief in this right has been used to justify revolutions.”
- “This should continue every day until the swamp has officially been drained.”
- “No it must continue because ENOUGH is ENOUGH CIVIL WAR.”
- “When America is being stolen then the only option is revolution. Stop being a coward.”
- “I hope it’s just the beginning of much more of this.”
- “Burn it all down, Hang all government officials and congressmen. The tree of liberty is thirsty for the blood of the corrupt pedophiles in government and news.”
- “NO, it must go on until every one of these corrupt dishonest politicians are taken down and replaced by every day normal people and businessman.”
-Contact reporter Seth Tupper by email.