8 more deaths, 243 hospitalized, 6,535 active cases
Note: The data presented is from the previous day — Tuesday updates include data from over the weekend, Monday updates present Friday's data, etc.
- State’s death toll: 2,289 (+8 from the previous report)
- Note: 'Death toll' indicates the number of deaths among people with COVID, but COVID may not have been the sole cause of death.
- Deaths verifiably caused by COVID: 2,027
- Active cases: 6,535 (+39)
- People 12 and older who are fully vaccinated: 58.7% (+0.08%)
- Vaccine boosters given: 90,426 (+5,897)
- Currently hospitalized: 243 (+10)
- Note: Currently Hospitalized numbers include COVID-19 cases and people that are in the hospital under transmission-based precautions. The number may include out-of-state cases and people.
The current advice from the CDC is to mask up indoors if you live in a place with "substantial" or "high" coronavirus transmission. In South Dakota, that's all but Jerauld, Harding, Miner, and Hand county.
The change to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's masking guidelines came after research on a summer outbreak showed delta was more transmissible than previously understood.
The Pfizer-BioNTech® COVID-19 Vaccine has been approved for children ages 5-11 by the FDA and received a final recommendation from the CDC.