Active COVID cases continue upward, 7 more deaths, 173 hospitalized
The Pfizer-BioNTech® COVID-19 Vaccine has been approved for children ages 5-11 by the FDA and received a final recommendation from the CDC.
South Dakota COVID-19 numbers update:
The South Dakota Department of Health says unvaccinated people make up the vast majority of newly reported deaths and hospitalizations.
- State’s death toll: 2,260 (+7 from the previous report)
- Note: 'Death toll' indicates the number of deaths among people with COVID, but COVID may not have been the sole cause of death.
- Deaths verifiably caused by COVID: 1,986
- Active cases: 5,782 (+120 from the previous report)
- People 12 and older who are fully vaccinated: 58.33%
- Due to updated/data clean-up efforts of federal vaccination data and additional state residency information, the completed vaccine coverage rate decreased 2.52%.
- 68,796 vaccine booster doses have been given (+3,241 from the previous report).
- Currently hospitalized: 173 (-14 from the previous report)
- Note: Currently Hospitalized numbers include COVID-19 cases and people that are in the hospital under transmission-based precautions. The number may include out-of-state cases and people