221 people are currently hospitalized with COVID-19
- State’s death toll: 2,167 (+6 from the previous report)
- Note: 'Death toll' indicates the number of deaths among people with COVID, but COVID may not have been the sole cause of death.
- Deaths verifiably caused by COVID: 1,893
- Active cases: 6,735 (-154 from the previous report)
- Eligible population (12 and older) fully vaccinated: 58.95% (+0.04 from the previous report)
- Currently hospitalized: 221 (+1 from the previous report)
- Note: Currently Hospitalized numbers include COVID-19 cases and people that are in the hospital under transmission-based precautions. The number may include out-of-state cases and people.
The South Dakota Department of Health says unvaccinated people make up the vast majority of newly reported deaths and hospitalizations.
They say, "The more the virus that causes COVID-19 circulates in a community, the more opportunities it has to transform into variants that can spread more easily. Help stop the spread and further mutation of the Coronavirus by getting vaccinated."
Find a vaccine: https://vaccines.gov