4 more deaths, 197 hospitalized, and 7,226 active cases
The state Department of Health reports:
- New cases: 528
- State’s death toll: 2,088 (+4 from the previous report)
- Active cases: 7,226 (+194 from the previous report)
- Eligible population (12 and older) fully vaccinated: 57.18%
- Hospitalized: 197 (-6 net from the previous report)
- Note: Currently Hospitalized numbers include COVID-19 cases and people that are in the hospital under transmission-based precautions. The number may include out-of-state cases and people.
The South Dakota Department of Health says unvaccinated people make up the vast majority of newly reported deaths and hospitalizations.
They say, "The more the virus that causes COVID-19 circulates in a community, the more opportunities it has to transform into variants that can spread more easily. Help stop the spread and further mutation of the Coronavirus by getting vaccinated."
Find a vaccine: https://vaccines.gov
COVID in South Dakota K–12 schools (as of September 4):
- 652 COVID-19 cases in students so far this year
- 154 COVID-19 cases in teachers and staff so far this year