Department of Education selects Regional Teachers of the Year
The Department of Education announced its Regional Teachers of the Year in honor of Teacher Appreciation Week, which runs May 8-12.
“Teachers do meaningful work. They make a genuine difference in children’s lives,” Secretary of Education Joseph Graves said. “This week gives us an opportunity to celebrate that work. Congratulations to this year’s state Teacher of the Year candidates, and thank you to the dedicated, caring professionals across the state who they represent.”
The department selects one teacher from each region in the state: Western, North Central, Northeast, South Central, East Central and Southeast.
- Region 1: Caitlyn Graf teaches math at Milbank High School.
- Region 2: George Hawkins teaches AP Government and US History at Jefferson High School in Sioux Falls.
- Region 3: Valerie Nelson is a kindergarten teacher at Chamberlain Elementary.
- Region 4: Lindsey Bachman teaches 3rd grade at Mobridge-Pollock Upper Elementary.
- Region 5: Alyssa Walters is an English Language Arts teacher at Spearfish High School.
One of these teachers will be selected as State Teacher of the Year later this fall. That teacher will then be South Dakota’s candidate for the National Teacher of the Year Award next spring.