.
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Fewer South Dakotans struggle to put food on the table than a decade ago

Screenshot 2022-09-07 154603.jpg
USDA

Almost 9% of South Dakota households struggle to put food on the table, according to the USDA's latest report on hunger in the U.S.

The number has dropped by about 4% over the last decade. 13% of South Dakota households reported struggling to buy food in the USDA data from 2009 to 2011, and about 11% did so in data from 2016 to 2018.

The numbers are similar to that of neighboring states — with 8% of North Dakotans and 10% of Montanans considering hunger a day-to-day concern.

An estimated 90% of U.S. households report they had access to enough food for all household members throughout 2021. A little over half of the remaining 10% report participating in federal nutrition assistance programs.

Screenshot 2022-09-07 154522.jpg
USDA

Joshua is the business and economics reporter with SDPB News.