Most Active Stories
- Lakota Woman Killed In Rosebud Dog Attack
- Dakota Midday: State Boys Basketball Tournament Preview
- Noem, USDA Secretary Disagree On School Lunch Nutrition Standards
- Dakota Midday: Environmental Activist Vandana Shiva
- Despite Lower Revenues Budget Provides Increases To Education, State Employees, Providers
Thu February 6, 2014
Sex Offender Released After 15 Years in Prison
The release of a man who served 15 years in prison for sexual contact with a child is set for Friday. Fifty-one year old Michael Pigney’s sentence expires, but Corrections Secretary Denny Kaemingk says Pigney is still a high risk individual.
“This inmate has a history of sex offenses against children,” Kaemingk says. “And based on his criminal history, we believe that he presents a continued risk to the community. And I believe it would be prudent to alert law enforcement and the public of his pending release from prison.”
Kaemingk says officials don’t normally notify the public of inmate releases, but they felt it was necessary in this case. Kaemingk says Pigney plans to live in Rapid City. He wants people to familiarize themselves with his picture so the community is aware if he’s around any children.